Juan Villamayor Frechilla. BSc, MBA, MSc. Partner and Consultant at Business with Common Sense.
Juan is currently working as sustainability and corporate social responsibility consultant, specialized in sustainability strategies, CSR reporting and stakeholder dialogue.
Juan has a degree in Economics and holds an MBA and a MSc in Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) an Sustainability. He has extensive experience in the business world (from 1995 to 2010) and is an ardent supporter of the role of corporate responsibility and sustainability as survival factors for companies and start-ups. He thinks that social responsibility and sustainability help achieve competitiveness and innovation.
Juan works since 2011 as a CSR consultant and one of his focuses is, together with Ariadna’s, the development and implementation of sustainable business models.
Some important highlights in Juan’s career that are relevant to this project are:
- From 1995 to 1996 he took part in the Technology-Transfer Days on behalf of the Technikzentrum Lübeck. These events that took place in Sweden, Spain and France, brought together small and medium technology start-ups in order to find trans-border opportunities.
- As a CSR consultant Juan has collaborated in the development of several CSR guides and training material for businesses. For example, he participated in the Brussels debates that helped develop the guide “My Business and Human Rights”, funded by the European Commission. Juan also took part at the development of the guide “Better CSR Advise for Small and Medium Enterprises”, promoted by the European Commission to give better support to CSR consultants specialized in small and medium entreprises.
- He has evaluated private-public partnerships in India, Benin, Burkina-Faso and Brazil on behalf on the German Agency for International Cooperation (GIZ), taking into account important indicators such as the impact on the local population and the final outcomes of the project. These projects were:
- Project in India on microinsurances for peasants and small start-ups
- Project in Benin for small cotton growers
- Project for Burkina Faso for a more efficient water transport
- Project in Brazil for the integration of informal steel suppliers in the formal steel supply chain
- Stakeholder mapping and dialogue has been a great part of Juan’s job as a CSR consultant. This enables him to easily identify the most important players in a given scenario, and their needs.
- Development of business plans for bottom of the pyramid projects, where he evaluated the viability of the inclusion of fishing cooperatives in the formal sector.
- Extensive and direct experience in the corporate world, not only direct during 16 years, but also indirect as a CSR consultant. In this position he has had to address issues such as impact mapping, responsible advertising, or human rights in the supply chain.
- He has also conducted social audits that took part in Murcia (Spain), where he audited the social conditions of migrant workers in large scale plantations.
- Juan has contributed to the elaboration of the handbook and training book material for the last version of the GRI training material in Spanish language. This training material is used at certified trainings for Sustainability Reporting in Spain.
- Juan has taught courses on stakeholder inclusion and sustainability reporting at:
Previous to this, he worked for over sixteen years in sales, marketing and innovation departments in different kinds of companies (start-ups, family businesses and multinational corporations). This has given him a deep understanding of the business world. During these years, he has taught quality management and FMEA at companies such as:
Contact with Juan
Juan’s LinkedIn profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/juanvillamayor